Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Sunday, January 9, 2011

It's not a house it's a home...

So another week has passed us by.
This weeks highlight was definately the making (and delivering) of the 3d house cake.
It was for the family get together, and consisted of vanilla butter cake, layered with milk chocolate ganache, coated it dark chocolate ganache, with pieces of chocolate fondant to make the bricks, the tiles on the roof were airbrushed to give it a terracotta feel.

So much fun.

So here is a picture of what I THOUGHT was the finished product.


OH OOOOH... Then I looked at the picture of the house staring at me from the computer, looked at the house model I made out of cardboard, then I looked at the clients email she sent me, then I looked at the picture she sent me... and I realised instantaneously that I had forgotten the windows, and the back step on the house and the plaque on the front of the cake... and the most important the dad sitting with his son... (obviously this realisation was very quick, and this is exactly why I double and triple check everything.)

So below is the finished cake in all its homely glory...






I loved many aspects of making this cake, the airbrushing, making the tiles, the "unfinished" area waiting to be tiled, the children playing on the lawn, but I have to say it touched me seeing the dad on the roof with his arm around his son. It reminded me of my very own dad, whom I shared so many fun memories with as a child during the renovations of our own family home.

Anyway as it famously quotes in the great Australian movie "The Castle"... "It's not a house it's a home."

0 comments:

Post a Comment