Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Monday, December 5, 2011

Wonderful Weddings

The last week was a busy one, One the line up was A Wedding Cake with 200 Dessert Serves, A cupcake Party event for 16 hens, Some Christmas Cupcakes, and Im sure a few more things in there that my mind has blanked on after a week of total sleep deprivation... The week started on Monday, I consulted my sketches for the Wedding cake. Could I really pull this off? Was I bitting off more than I could chew... Well I have paid an extensive amount of money in training... But 200 dessert serves????? I got all my prep work done... making flowers, preparing ganache, making syrups, torting cakes. Then the fun began, My kitchen was a swarm of Ganache come tuesday... I had to make 3 different flavoured ganaches... Raspberry and white chocolate Ganache, Bittersweet dark chocolate ganache, dark chocolate ganache, and white chocolate ganache... Sorry did I say 3 flavours? I meant 4! Any way, using my new found skills that I learnt at Faye Cahill Cakes A few weeks ago, I set to on the task ahead. Somewhere in between looking after 3 children (and a husband), between the hours of 8pm and 4am My work was being done. Day 1 Prep, Day 2 Ganache, Day 3 Ganache, Day 4 Cover, Day 5 & Day 6 Decorate! Well I finished the cake. Phew... but before delivering it, I had booked in to do a cupcake party on the same day (Will I ever learn when it is too much?... I don't think so ;)) It was so much fun and a good distraction from the impending "Cake delivery". Now I have come up with a term, It is called "cake anxiety". I am sure 99.99% of cake decorators experience this. It is the sickly nervous feeling (similar to being in love,) that you get a) when moving a heavy cake, b) when transporting a cake, and c) walking the cake into the venue d) until we hear feedback (reduced but still active) . I find us cake decorators can be extremely sensitive,whilst this feeling usually decreases significantly when the cake is sitting safely on the cake table, and instructions are in the correct hands, and the venue staff oooooh and aaaaaah over your cake. The feeling never subsides completely until I hear any sort of feedback from the person whom has ordered... (In fact I still have a few restless nights from cakes I made near the beginning that I never heard feedback from) Lucky for me in this instance, my cake anxiety was short lived with a Beautiful message from the bride the next day (A record!)




To finish the week off, I started on my Christmas decorations, well Christmas cupcake decorations anyway :) I am still yet to put up A Christmas tree... My poor Children, It must be hard to live with a cake obsessed mum ;)

(Oh yes I knew I would forget something).. I also set up a Toy Story Lolly Table, for the compettition winner on my facebook page. Anyway... Until next time, stay true, and keep on caking...

0 comments:

Post a Comment